Monday 30 May 2011

5 things I learnt this weekend......

1) Bet with your bloody instincts

All thorough Saturday the signs were there. The better players, the better league form, the more confident fans. Langdon AND Cascarino in the post. A million tweeters talking about how good they were, and one who kept telling me;

“Evens Barcelona to win in 90 mins? Surely that is like finding money in the street?”

And I still missed it. Yep, I still missed it.

2) Once you’ve used your bloody instincts to find a bet, keep things simple

While I could have just smashed into Barca at their price, I picked correct scorecasts of 2-1 & 2-0 (not wise on a team that keeps on going). I also had Scholes to be booked, Hernandez to score, and Utd in a bookings bet. All of which rendered useless, making the comments I had read from traders Colin Campbell (Sportingbet), Charlie McCann (Victor Chandler) & Paul Lowery (Totesport) in the Racing Post all the more galling.

3) If you don’t have the gut feeling, don’t go in on it

There were plenty of well contested races on Saturday that I was able to find a pick for but none which I had a proper gut feeling about (Regal Parade being the only one, who was sadly given rather a lot to do) and I predictably had a horror day, being saved only by Mezzenah’s place in the Listed race at Haydock.


4)      Stamina over 12 furlongs doesn't mean you've got a stayer

The admirably consistent and highly classy Fame & Glory made a winning step up to 1m6f in the Saval Beg Stakes but not after being pushed very hard by Vivacious Vivienne in a race which may have made Rite Of Passage the banker of Royal Ascot. Dermot Weld’s previously unbeaten stayer only failed for fitness and is a guaranteed stayer of the Gold Cup trip. I know which is the better horse (and certainly one that I like more, so I’ll still be backing him should he go) but that may not be what’s required over 2m4f in June. Fame & Glory has more than enough class to win Group 1’s over 12 furlongs and maybe that’s what’s best for him.


5)      He may not be good enough for Barcelona, but Wesley Snedijer is one of the best midfielders in Europe

While a couple of well-known Spanish midfielders were adding their names to the History books, one particularly depth Dutch maestro was powering Inter to a Coppa Italia triumph with some excellent passing of his own. He’ll never be ranked alongside the magic pair at Barcelona but I’d bet good money that a number of mangers (including Ferguson himself) were disappointed when he declared his loyalty to the Nezzauri for another year.

Fame & Glory - Good enough to take a Group 1 over 1m4f











No comments:

Post a Comment